Sunday, February 7, 2010

Always be a Local...

by Charles G. Prescott on Sunday February 7, 2010





http://www.aloqa.com/


The name is pronounced like "aloha" but with a "k" instead of an "h." Say it with me... "Al-oh-kuh." Get used to saying it, because you are going to be using it more and more. It's an "all in one" application which means it does a bunch of things. Here is how I have been using it. I am a huge coffee drinker (this is no secret), and when I need a cup, I NEED IT!! But that's ok... ALOQA (say it with me... Al-oh-ka) can help. Click on the app and there is an icon (they call it a channel) that says... COFFEE!! Click it and it shows channels for the local chains (Starbucks, DD, Peets, Caribou, etc.) as well as Yelp Coffee and how many there are of each. It all works off the GPS. Now I know that this is nothing new or amazing in the world of smart phones, but wait there's more First, it's more accurate than the other apps I've tried ("Find this" "Find that") it actually locates Starbucks located in other stores like Target Second, you can set it up to alert you automatically when you are near one The brilliant part is that this applies to all the channels (Restaurants, Clubs, ATMS, Fast Food, etc). There is one channel though that I will touch upon as I feel it deserves high marks. The channel is called "Great Dad" and is listed as family fun. Click the channel and now you have access to all the local family friendly attractions. (Landmarks, Museums, Parks... you name it.)Of course you need to try it for yourself, but I think it's definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment